3 ladies, 1 goal... ...to look and be amazeballs in 2012.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Give Mama her Body Back

I'm Kristen, born and raised in the Midwest. I'm the mama of the group and though I don't blame my 4 year old ray of sunshine for ruining *all this*... my complacency and excuses after she came along are exactly what put me in this position. Let's get a few things out in the open here, though... I mean, if we're going to be friends, you need to understand a few things about me.

1. I have the eating habits of a 5 year old
2. I lead a life that, for many, would be more than too much to handle
3. When it comes to working out, I don't take direction well... at all.
4. I honestly don't see the weight on me until someone shows me a photo of myself.
5. I need a goal and it needs to be extreme.

Today was my first day back in the gym and I'm not going to lie... it was good to be back in there. I like going to the gym and I kind of like working out (weird, I know). I'm hoping I can keep this attitude up over the next 20 days (that's how long it takes to make something a habit, right)

Two years ago I dropped about 25 pounds and it was the first time I actually felt back to my old self (i.e. pre-baby). I was walking 4 miles a few times a week and I cut back my food intake pretty severely. Life caught up to me (as did my appetite) and I eventually put that 25 back on and then some. My relationship with food is pretty much emotional. Stress? eat. Tired? eat. Happy? eat. Why not, right? This is why not.

The photo on the left was taken January 1, 2012. No, I'm not pregnant. I'm large. So much so that I joke that my skinny husband and I look like the number 10 when we're out. I secretly thank God Little Miss got his skinny genes because, though I know the skinnies go thru their own struggles, I would hate to watch her go thru this weight battle that I do.

Now, that dress on the right? I own that dress. I want to wear that dress and look like her in that dress. I wore that dress one time and I was nowhere near comfortable in it. Before I get a big long speech about how you can't compare yourself to models and the fashion industry is ruining our self-worth and self-image, I can assure you that's not the case here. For my height and build, I SHOULD be that small. Me thinking the size I am now is acceptable is what's ruining me. I don't feel comfortable in my own skin and THAT's what's not acceptable. I'm giving myself til May to get my shit together and wear this dress like it should be worn... even if I have to throw it on to go to the gas station. That is my goal.

So, I'm on this little trip with Katie and Ang, if anything, to find a good balance and keep some accountability. I can't use that excuse anymore. I don't want to avoid cameras anymore. I don't want to wear baggy clothes anymore. And I definitely don't want to live an oxymoron in double digit skinny jeans anymore. Because if we're being honest here... nobody's going to do it for me, except me.

No comments:

Post a Comment